USA Star Wars "Warner Theatre" Triple Bill One-Sheet

inkblot

USA Star Wars "Warner Theatre" Triple Bill One-Sheet
Click to enlarge

Other Info: On November 17-18, 1984 in Canada (for a United Way Benefit) and on March 28, 1985, in the United States, there was one complete, uncut showing of the original Star Wars trilogy at nine participating theaters. These nine theaters were each given two personalized posters for the promotion of this event at their theatre, creating one of the rarest and quite possibly the most valuable one-sheets ever produced for the Star Wars Saga (only the unproduced Teac&Tascam advance Star Wars one-sheets are rarer). These black and white, "photographically enlarged" posters, were created from the original local newspaper advertisements, with a few minor changes, and each one measures approximately 27" x 41", while the Canadian version is slightly larger at 27½" x 41½". These heavy stock posters have an embossed, textured feel to them, and they contain the three movie logos, along with the theater's name, box office information, and any sound system logo (eg. THX) that applied to that individual theater. The American versions of this poster contain text at the top that proclaims - "For the first time in America, The Star Wars Trilogy", while the Canadian version says, "Special Showing, One Performance Only, The Star Wars Trilogy." In America - this special performance benefited the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. In Canada - the proceeds went to the Canadian Children's Foundation. (The poster pictured above is the United States triple bill one-sheet from the Warner Theatre in New York, NY. (Owned by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. at the time of the trilogy showing) Located on Broadway at W. 47th Street, the Strand Theatre was opened on April 11, 1914 with the photoplay “The Spoilers” starring William Farnum. It was built for the Mitchel Mark Realty Company and was under the early direction of Samuel “Roxy” Rothapfel. It originally had a seating capacity of 2,989 located in orchestra and a single balcony. The Strand Theatre began its life with stage shows in addition to movies and also had one of the largest stages in the city in 1914. After stage shows were dropped in 1929, seating was reduced to 2,750. In the late-1930’s stage shows (and vaudeville) were brought back. After dropping stage shows on July 3, 1951, the Strand Theatre was renamed Warner Theatre, and opened with “Stangers on a Train”. During 1952 to 1953, the theatre closed, was renovated and renamed Warner Cinerama Theatre. Cinerama films moved here from the Broadway Theatre, starting with “This Is Cinerama” in 1953. In 1963, the auditorium was equipped with a 81 foot wide, 30 feet tall screen to show “Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”. World Premiere’s of 70mm films included “Porgy and Bess”(June 24, 1959), “Exodus”(December 15, 1960), “The Greatest Story Ever Told”(February 15, 1965), “Grand Prix”(December 21, 1966 and “Camelot”(October 25, 1967). On July 30, 1968, the theatre reopened as a triplex. The Warner Cinerama Theatre with 1,000 seats occupied the main floor. The former balcony became the 1,200 seat Penthouse Theatre. A third 450-seat theatre built in the old Strand’s stagehouse was also opened, called the Cine Orleans(Off Broadway), which had its own entrance on W. 47th Street. In the early-1980’s the Cinerama Theatre and Penthouse Theatre were remodeled and renamed the RKO Warner Twin Theatre. Unfortunately, on February 8th 1987, after a long and eventful life, one of the greatest movie palaces of New York City closed and was demolished.) *Theatre info from Cinematreasures.org

brush_ink




inkblot

More Views: 
Trilogy button handed out at the event.
More Views: 
Official Star Wars Fan Club letter about the Triple Bill event.
More Views: 
Star Wars Triple Bill Ticket from the RKO Warner Theatre, 1985
More Views: 
Star Wars "Warner Theatre" Triple Bill One-Sheet Newspaper Ad